Reader's Journal-Non-fiction
#8 Reader’s Journal 10/17/11
Dear Mrs. Zrihen,
I have just finished reading the book ANNE FRANK: The Biography by Melissa Muller. The genre of this book is clearly a biography. A biography is a subgenre, in the category of non-fiction; it is a book that is full of facts on an account of a person’s life, written by another person.
There were many passages that were in my interest while reading this book. The passage I chose out of the many was located on the last chapter of the book. It included a quote that Anne specifically said in her diary.
“There’s in people simply an urge to destroy, an urge to kill, to murder and rage” The Nazis and their silent helpers could take Anne’s life from her but not her voice. “I know what I want, I have a goal, have an opinion, have a religion and love... If God lets me live, I shall attain more than Mummy ever has done, I shall not remain insignificant, I shall work in the world for mankind”. In the end, the Nazi terror could not silence Anne’s voice, which still rings out for all of us, whom she had hoped so ardently to serve.”
I chose this quote because I really wanted to show how good the author wrote in detail, and that when reading this quote you can really feel the situations that innocent people had to face. Anne was one of those innocent people and you can see that after being in the holocaust, all she hoped for was to live and to make a difference by creating a goal. The quote is significant to the book because it gives so much meaning to both the book and Anne Frank. This quote really showed how courageous Anne was, even after having such a sad life while living in the secret annex and being captured for so long.
There were many strategies I used before, during, and after reading this book. Before reading, I predicted what might happen next in the book, since I last read. Also, I asked myself questions so that I would be excited to read and find the answers. While reading, I gathered information and experiences on what I already knew about the topic to make it easier to understand what was happening in the book. Also, I tried evaluating the questions I asked myself before I began reading. After reading, I read the sticky notes I wrote for the last readers journal to see what literary elements might have been changed or been added to at the end of the book. Also, I wrote my readers journal and compare and contrasted the book with what I already knew about Anne Frank to the facts written in the text.
None of the literary elements have been changed throughout the book. The topic is Anne Frank and the main idea is on Anne’s life story during the Holocaust in the secret annex and out. The main idea is implied because it is not clearly stated in the text. If I chose to give this book another title, it would be “The Life of Anne Frank, a Story that should Never be Forgotten” I would name it this because I think it would catch many reader’s attentions. Also, by having this title, it would make it easier for the reader to understand the main idea of the book. Three supporting details were the title because it mentioned the topic is on Anne Frank, the description of the secret annex and what she did while living in there for so long, and finally, the description of the book, taking place in the time of the holocaust. All details were factual because they were stated in the book, being true. The essential message was that Anne Frank was a really important, Jewish, young girl that spent her life hiding in a secret annex for a large amount of the holocaust and ended up becoming one of the most known and most significant people in history.
The pattern of organization is chronological order because the events occurred in the order in which they happen. The author’s purpose is to inform the reader on facts that are based on another person’s life (Anne Frank.) The authors perspective is objective and unbiased because Melissa does not have any opinions, she just states the facts about Anne’s life. Even though there are several quotes that Anne says in this book, the point of view is still written in 2nd person because the narrator overall is telling the story.
I can still compare and contrast Anne’s life to other Jewish people who were living in the time of the holocaust in many ways! To begin with, one thing they have in common is that both Anne and other Jewish people were most likely to be all in the same situation during the holocaust. They differ because other Jewish people did not hide in a secret annex like Anne did during this time. The cause and effect would be that if Anne and her family living with her in the secret annex made any noise while the soldiers were out searching, the effect on it would be that they would unfortunately get caught and get killed, which is what really ended up happening! The validity and accuracy I used was my background knowledge on what I already knew on Anne Frank.
There were many text features that I was able to locate while reading this book. For example, titles, quotations, chapter’s numbers, italicized, and bolded words were some features that easily caught my attention. To begin with, the italicized and bolded words allowed me to easily catch important words or points while I read. Also, the titles gave me an idea of what each chapter was about, along with the chapter number, which allowed me to track where I was in the book. The quotations helped me view things from the characters perspective and sense on what they had to say.
Even though this book was “just right” for me, I still found a way to identify many vocabulary words that I didn’t know before. For example, the word dutifully, meaning to be obedient was identified by using context clue number five. Also, the word diminished, meaning to be less valuable was also found with context clue number five. The word console is when you comfort someone that is in a state of being disappointed or sad. Unlike the other words, I used context clue number four to understand the definition. Another word I found using context clue number four was with the word arrogantly, meaning exaggeration of when you describe someone’s importance. Finally, the word inchoate, which means to just begin something, was also found by using context clue number five. There was no figurative language written in this book because it is a biography.
While reading this book, I was able to make the same connections as I did before. A text-to-self connection I was able to make was with Anne Frank and myself. The book states that Anne was a very strong, brave, Jewish, smart and defendant young girl just like I am. A text-to-text connection I made was to Anne’s Diary and this book because this book mentions many events that Anne might have wrote in her personal diary. Finally, A text-to-world connection would be that Anne Frank was known as the "human face of the Holocaust.” This book really showed examples of how many similar and tragic lives others experienced during this important time in history and it can’t ever be forgotten.
All in all, this was an amazing book and was defiantly worth reading! I used many sources of information like my prior knowledge to help me understand and really connect with this book. I recommend this book to anyone and everyone because it really opens your mind and heart on other peoples lives and makes you believe on how lucky you are to not have been in the situations Anne was in during her lifetime. I rate the book a 10-10 because it was extremely informational and kept me hooked! I was interested in reading it the whole time!
Love,
Joelle Ben-Nissan
Dear Joelle,
ReplyDeleteI loved your reader's journal!!!
i have some questions I want to ask you!!:
what is your favorite reading strategies?
do you use specific reading strategies for specific genres?
would you reread this book? why?
how do you think the holocaust affected peoples life?
what made you read this book?
how has this book changed your life?
well over all you did a great job and i really enjoyed reading your blog!!
your friend,
Joy James
Dear Joy,
ReplyDeleteThank you for reading my readers journal!
-I don't really have any favorite reading strategies but i believe some strategies are better than others, like for example, i like to skim and scan as a strategy.
-I don't think some reading strategies are better for other genres because all strategies are used to help you in all different things/books, not mattering what genre the book is most of the time.
-I wouldn't reread this book even though it was really good and interesting because the book wouldn't seem as interesting as it did the first time i read it, since i already know everything that thee book says.
-The holocaust affected many peoples lives for many reasons! many lives would be affected by living with torture, hunger, pain and even a different way of life. Also, people who have died during this time led to sympathy to many people.
-i read this book because, since we had to read a biography, the first person that came to my mind was Anne Frank. this is because i can connect with her, i know allot about her and she is an extremely important person in the Jewish history.
Thanks again!
Love,
Joelle Ben-Nissan
Great job joelle i dont even think I have any questions because it seems like it has everything, but
ReplyDeletehow old of age would you reccomend the book to
sincerly
avrumie
Dear Joelle,
ReplyDeleteYou did an amazing job! :*
I have some questions:
-What made you read this book?
-Do you have a favorite reading strategy? If so, which one?
-Would you recommend this book to me?
-What impact had this book on you?
-Were there other quotes that interested you?
Love,
Sharon Alfandary <3
Dear Avrumie and Sharon,
ReplyDeleteThank you for reading my readers journal!
Avrumie,
I don't really have an opinion on a specific age the book should be read by but i think this book is more appropriate for young adults (teens).
Sharon,
-I don't really have any favorite reading strategies but i really think that some strategies are better than others, like for example, i like to skim and scan as a strategy.
-Yes, i would recommend this book to you because i think you can really connect to Anne and if your interested in this topic, i really think you would enjoy reading this book.
-this book had great impact on me because it really taught me how important it is to never stop believing and to stay strong.
-The book had many other quotes that interested me but the quote i chose was most important, in my opinion.
Thanks again guys and i hope i have covered all your questions!
Love,
Joelle Ben-Nissan