Reader's Journal-
Fiction
#14 Reader’s Journal 11/28/11
Dear Mrs. Zrihen,
I have recently started reading the book The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks. The genre of this book can be both realistic fiction and romance; this is because it is a fictional story that could've taken place within the last 50 years and it is a love story.
A passage I chose out of the many was located in the beginning of the book (kindle)
“For an instant, Ronnie felt crushed of memories overwhelm her: the fire and subsequent rebuilding of the church, the stained-glass window, the song she’d finally finished. She thought about Blaze and Scott and Marcus. She thought about Will. She was eighteen years old and remembering the summer she’d been betrayed, the summer she’d been arrested, the summer she’d fallen in love.”
I chose this quote because it really reminded me of how good the movie was when I saw it. Ronnie tells her mother about the summer she has spent (which is what the movie focuses on). This passage is significant to the book because with this small paragraph, any reader could tell that the pattern of organization was flash back.
I used various strategies before, during, and after reading this book. Before reading, I read others reviews about this book to have a greater interest and understanding of what the book is about and if it is worth reading. Also, I skim and scanned the book to identify if it was “just right” for me. While reading, I tried to point out the literary elements to write on a sticky note so that it would be easier to write my readers journal. All the literary elements turned out to stay the same. Also, I created mental images throughout events in the book so that I had a great visualization of what I was reading. Clearly, since the author was so vivid and explanatory, my metal images were made quick and clear. After reading, I wrote my readers journal on all the information I kept track of. Also, I compare and contrasted this book to the movie it was based on and they seemed pretty similar so far!
While reading, there were many characters I was introduced to, although I don’t know much about any of them to identify their characterizations or personalities... the protagonists are Ronnie Miller, Steve Miller, Jonah Miller, and Will Blakelee. They are all round and dynamic. There is no antagonist. Some foil characters are Blaze, Marcus, and Jonah and Ronnie’s mother. Hopefully when I read later on in the book I can tell you more about each of these characters! So far, the setting is in New York City. The time is modern day, in the year of 2010. The weather conditions vary; they are either sunny or cold outside. The social conditions are that Ronnie’s parents are divorced and that she and her brother are being “forced” to visit their father in North Carolina. Her father, Steve, gets diagnosed with cancer.
Since I’ve only started reading this book, I have only read up to the rising action. The exposition is when Ronnie introduces a flashback she had from the amazing summer she has had with her Dad, Brother, Will and many others. The rising action is when Ronnie and her brother come to their dad’s house to visit. There are also no conflicts yet. I really hope to uncover the rest of the books plot structure and conflicts.
The point of view is mainly written in third person limited, but it all depends on the chapter you read. This is because the name of each character is the name of the chapter. This means, that if the chapter had a name on it, that chapter would focus on that person. The pattern of organization is flashback, clearly because of the quote I wrote and chose. The author’s perspective is unbiased and subjective. The author’s purpose is to entertain the reader with a fictional love story. The tone was to love and amuse and the mood was feeling interest, amusement, and sadness at times. I was not yet able to identify any theme, motif, moral, or any figurative language.
All in all, this book is really good so far! I really recommend it to anyone but mostly teens, just because it is a love story and it has some trick words. I rate it a ten out of ten so far and I really hope for the rest of the book to be as good as it is so far!
Love,
Joelle Ben-Nissan
Dear Joelle,
ReplyDeleteYou did a great job on your journal!!
One thing you did very well on is quoting a passage that you thought was significant to you and the book and you did a food job with your reading strategies.
Some questions I would like to ask you are:
-What made this book different from other romance books?
-Has this book changed your life?
-What part did you like the most? What part did you dislike the most?
One thing I think you should do next time is be much more descriptive with the reason why you rated the book a 10 out of 10. Well, overall you did a great job!!
Your Friend,
Joy James
Dear Joelle,
ReplyDeleteGreat Reader's Journal! I really liked the book you choose! I have a few questions to ask you about your journal:
-Why do you rate this book a 10 out of 10?
- Is there a reason why you choose this book?
-Can you relate to the main character?
Next time I think you should add a little more detail when you're describing why you choose that passage. Overall, You did a great job!
Love,
Daniela Anidjar
Dear Joelle,
ReplyDeleteGreat readers journal! I really liked how even though you are on a cruise, you still managed to do your reader's journal! (;
-What is one thing from the movie that wasn't in the book? What was one thing in the book that wasn't in the movie?
-While skimming and skinning, what did you identify?
-Can you make any text-to-self, text-to-text, or text-to-world connections?
Overall, amazing job on your reader's journal!
Next time you should just add a little more descriptive detail.
Love,
Bailey Levy <3
Dear Joelle ,
ReplyDeleteYou did an amazing job on your reader's journal !I really liked the quote you picked .
-Which character did you relate to the most ?
-Which character was your favorite?
- If you could change anything about this story what would it be ?
Next time I think you should be more specific in some areas and be a little more descriptive ,but overall you did a truly amazing job !
Love,
Samantha Fine
Dear Joelle,
ReplyDeleteGreat Job! I really liked how you explained the strategies. I still have some questions:
- Did this book make you still enjoy reading the authors book?
- Do you use different strategies to analyze the text depending on the genre and author of the book?
- If you could change one thing this book what would it be?
Next Time i suggest you explain in better detail the plot.
Sincerely,
Elias Rosenfeld
Dear Joy, Daniela, Bailey, Samantha, and Elias,
ReplyDeleteThank you all for commenting on my readers journal!
Joy,
-the fact that this book was both realistic fiction and romance is what made it different from other romance books.
-Even though this book was really great, i didn't take it as a lesson learned or anything so it didn't change my life.
-i can't choose which parts were my favorite i really liked when the author chose descriptive word choice, that made it feel like i was watching the movie again! i didn't have any parts that i disliked.
Daniela,
-I rate this book a 10 out of 10 because it kept me hooked the entire time and was a pleasure to read.
-I chose this book because it was recommended to me by many people, i enjoy reading romances, and because i saw and loved the movie!
-yes, i think i can relate to the main character because i agree with her decisions and actions.
Bailey,
-One thing from the movie that wasn't in the book was very small and unimportant scenes. One thing in the book that wasn't in the movie was Ronnie's flashback she had about the summer she had spent.
-While skimming and scanning, I identified text features like headings, titles, its covers, and quotation marks.
-i cannot really make any text-to-self, text-to-text, or text-to-world connections because this book is realistic fiction and i can't relate it to any "real world" events.
Samantha,
-The character I can relate to the most is the main character, which is Ronnie.
-Ronnie was my favorite character.
-If i had a choice to change anything about this story, i would change anything because i thought it was really good the way it was.
Elias,
-what do you mean in the first question that you asked?
-No, i don't use different strategies to analyze the text depending on the genre and author of the book.
- f i had a choice to change anything about this story, i would change anything because i thought it was really good the way it was.
All in all, thank you! I will try my best to use all of your advice for my next readers journal and learn from my mistakes!
Your Friend,
Joelle Ben-Nissan
Dear Joelle,
ReplyDeleteAmazing job! I really liked how you explained the characters you were very descriptive.
I have some questions:
-Would you read another book by this author?
-Did you watch the movie? If so what did the movie and the book have in common and different?
-Would you recommend this book to me?
Next time, be more descriptive why you choose that rate.
Love,
Sharon Alfandary:)
Dear sharon,
ReplyDeleteThank you for reading and commenting on my readers journal!
-Yes, I would read another book by this author without a doubt.
-Yes, something that was different in the book that wasn't in the movie was Ronnie's flashback she had about the summer she had spent.
-Yes, i would recommend this book to you! I really think you would enjoy reading it!
All in all, thank you again! I will try my best to use your advice for my next readers journal and learn from my mistakes!
Love,
Joelle Ben-Nissan