Current Events #3
Date: 12/11/11
Name: Joelle Ben-Nissan
Title: Animal shelter's behavior experts face life and death decisions for animals
Author: John Owens
Source: The Miami Herald Newspaper-
· The topic of the article is animal shelter’s decisions on animal behavior.
The main idea of the article is (implied/stated): The main idea is stated because it is clearly states it in the title of the article. It is: “Animal shelter's behavior experts face life and death decisions for animals”
· The author’s purpose for writing this article is to inform the reader about the decisions shelters make to either euthanasia the animal or not according to the animal’s behavior.
· The author’s perspective in this article is subjective (biased) because the author makes the reader have sympathy for the animals.
· The pattern of organization of the article is both process order and cause and effect.
· The reason the author chose to write in a form of process order and cause and effect in the article is to show the cause of either behaving good or bad and the effect of it. Also, it is process order because the author helped the reader with the process of how they make decisions.
· The text features included in the article are the title, quotations marks, and the date.
-The title helps because it helps the reader identify the main idea of the article.
-The quotation marks help by showing valid conversation and action that Bolivar Perez-Rios said and was going through while the author “flashed back” at his experience.
-The date tells the reader when the author published the article.
· Summary in my own words: This article is about how shelters make the decision to either put pets for adoption or put them to sleep according to their behavior. Yokie for example, was put to sleep before he was put up for adoption because he had an aggressive behavior.
· The significance of this article is that the reader can have a better idea of the decisions shelters make to either put animals to death or put them up for adoption according to their behavior. This means that the animal you adopt is more likely to have a non-aggressive behavior, because the animals that do, are most likely put to sleep.
· What I learned from this article is that so many pets are being put to sleep before giving them a chance to be adopted just because they are aggressive. It isn’t a pets fault if they are aggressive and I think they should at least give them a chance before killing them.
· What I liked about this article is that the author included many quotation marks that other said because if gave me the opportunity to be informed on the opinions of others perspectives.
· What I did not like about the article is that the author used a real life example, like Yokie because it was really depressing to hear that he had to be put to sleep. Also, I did not like that the author didn’t include a picture that would show a visual of his example, Yokie.
· I think people who are planning to adopt a pet or people who already have a pet should read this article because it would teach them more about what shelters do to the pets. Also, it might teach people how to care for their pet, for those who already have one.
· A text-to-self connection I made was that I have a dog as a pet and thankfully, he was not put to sleep because of his friendly and calm behavior.
· A text-to-text connection I made was to a book my little sister read about a dog that had disabilities and had to be put to sleep by his family.
· A text-to-world connection I made after reading this article was that there are so many dogs, cats, and other animals that are being put to sleep in shelters around the world.
New vocabulary I learned:
| Word | Context Clues | Meaning |
| 1. Coalition | Context clue #4 (Example or Explanation) Because it uses a comma to show an example of it. | An Alliance |
| 2. Euthanasia | I used context clue #5 (Inference/ Description) because reading the sentence helped me infer that it means to kill, when they stated that they would have to Euthanasia if the animal caused danger to others. | To put to sleep. |
| 3. Utilitarian | I used context clue #5 (Inference/ Description) because reading the sentence helped me infer that it that it means functional, from the word next to it. | Attractive, Functional |
No comments:
Post a Comment