Monday, January 30, 2012

Current Events #7

 Date: 1/29/12
Name: Joelle Ben-Nissan

Title: Should the driving age be raised to 18?
Author: Representative John D'Amico and Alex Koroknay-Palicz

Source:  The New York Times Magazine (For teens)
·      The topic of the article is driving age.

The main idea of the article is (implied/stated): The main idea is stated because it is clearly said in the title of the article, being: “Should the driving age be raised to 18?”

·      The author’s purpose for writing this article is to persuade the readers why or why not the driving age should be changed.

·      The author’s perspective in this article is subjective (biased) because both authors state their personal beliefs and opinions in the text about whether or not the driving age should be raised.

·      The pattern of organization of the article is both argument and support and compare and contrast.
·      The reason why the author chose to write in a form of argument and support and compare and contrast is to show and demonstrate different opinions other people have on the argument.

·      The text features included in the article are the title, subtitle, and an example.
-The title helps by giving the readers a little hint on what the article is about.
-The subtitle helps by explaining the article and telling more about it.
-The example helps support the author’s argument.

·      Summary in my own words: This article is about the main reasons why or why not the driving age should be raised to 18 years old.

·      The significance of this article is that the reader the reader gets to view both sides of a major argument.

·      What I learned from this article is that between 1995 and 2004, there were 30,917 fatalities in accidents that involved 15-to-17-year-old drivers, according to a study by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety.

·      What I liked about this article is that the author included two different sides of what people thought on the argument so that readers would be able to view more than one perspective.
·      What I did not like about the article is that the author didn’t include enough examples to support his argument.

·      I would recommend this article to anyone that wants the driving age to stay at the age of 16 or people who want the driving age to be raised to 18 years of age.

·      A text-to-self connection I made with the article is that I am really looking forward in driving when I’m 16 years old so I completely agree with Alex Koroknay-Palicz’s side of the argument.

·      A text-to-text connection I made was with the newspaper, when it writes about young teens getting into car accidents.

·      A text-to-world connection I made after reading this article was that many teens all around the world get their license at 16 years of age.
New vocabulary I learned:

Word
Context Clues
Meaning
1. Legislation
Context clue #5 (Inference/ Description) Because the sentence is: “That's why I introduced legislation to raise the driving age in Illinois from 16 to 18.” By this sentence, I inferred that legislation means a law.
laws
2. Fatalities
I used context clue #5 (Inference/ Description) because the sentence is: “Between 1995 and 2004, there were 30,917 fatalities in accidents that involved 15-to-17-year-old drivers, according to a study by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety.” By this sentence, I inferred that it is deaths because when I replaced the word with it, it is what most made sense.
Deaths
3. Mobility
I used context clue #5 (Inference/ Description) because the sentence is: “Cars are necessary for mobility in this country.” When I read this sentence, I inferred mobility meant to move.
The ability to move


No comments:

Post a Comment