Monday, January 30, 2012

Current Events #5

 Date: 1/17/12
Name: Joelle Ben-Nissan

Title: To Preserve History on the Moon, Visitors Are Asked to Tread Lightly
Author: Kenneth Chang

Source:  The New York Times Newspaper

·      The topic of the article is preserving space history.

The main idea of the article is (implied/stated): The main idea is implied because it is not clearly stated it in the article. It is that the Apollo program is trying to make laws to protect historic artifacts on the moon.

·      The author’s purpose for writing this article is to inform the readers about how people are trying to preserve the moons history.

·      The author’s perspective in this article is objective (unbiased) because the author does not state his personal beliefs or opinions in the text.

·      The pattern of organization of the article is argument and support.
·      The reason why the author chose to write in a form of argument and support is so that readers can better understand the main point the author is trying to make.

·       The text features included in the article are the title, quotations marks, and a picture.
-The title helps by giving the readers a little hint on what the article is about.
-The quotation marks help by showing valid conversation on what each person thinks and said.
-The picture helps by giving the readers a visual of what the article is talking about.

·       Summary in my own words: This article is about the Apollo program which is trying to set rules for future visitors of the moon so that it does not get destroyed.

·       The significance of this article is that the reader can have a better idea of on how people are working so hard to preserve the history of the moon.

·      What I learned from this article is that California’s catalog of historic artifacts includes two pairs of boots, an American flag, empty food bags, a pair of tongs and more than a hundred other items left behind at a place called Tranquillity Base.
·       What I liked about this article is that the author included a picture because it helped me visualize what I was reading.
·       What I did not like about the article is that the author was not biased and didn’t include any of his thoughts, opinions, or beliefs in the text.

·      I would recommend this article to anyone that is interested in the moons history or the exploration of it.

·       A text-to-self connection I made with the article is that I am interested in uncovering the moons preserved history when I have a chance.

·      A text-to-text connection I made was to a book I read about the Apollo space program, just like the article.

·      A text-to-world connection I made after reading this article was that people used to travel to space and explore the moon.

New vocabulary I learned:

Word
Context Clues
Meaning
1. Sovereignty
Context clue #5 (Inference/ Description) Because the sentence is: “But 100 nations, including the United States, have signed the Outer Space Treaty, in which they agree not to claim sovereignty over any part of the moon.” By this sentence, I inferred that sovereignty means to have some type of power.
To have power or authority
2. Obliterate
I used context clue #5 (Inference/ Description) because the sentence is: “But for archaeologists and historians worried that the next generation of people visiting the moon might carelessly obliterate the site of one of humanity’s greatest accomplishments, these designations were important first steps toward raising awareness of the need to protect off-world artifacts.” By this sentence, I inferred that is meant to destroy because when I replaced the word with it, it is what most made sense.
To destroy
3. Ruse
I used context clue #5 (Inference/ Description) because the sentence is: “Federal officials were also wary that other countries would see granting historic protection to the Apollo sites as a ruse by the United States to put down territorial claims.” When I read this sentence, I inferred ruse meant to trick.
To trick

No comments:

Post a Comment