Current Events #6
Date: 1/22/12
Name: Joelle Ben-Nissan
Title: “I Have a Dream”
Author: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Source: PBS
· The topic of the article is freedom and equality.
The main idea of the article is (implied/stated): The main idea is implied because it is not clearly stated it in the article. It is that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. wanted everyone, including very race and religion to live free and equal among themselves.
· The author’s purpose for writing this article is to persuade the listeners to believe in equality and freedom.
· The author’s perspective in this article is subjective (biased) because the author clearly states his personal dreams, beliefs, and opinions in the text.
· The pattern of organization of the article is argument and support.
· The reason why the author chose to write in a form of argument and support is so that readers can better understand the main point the author is trying to make.
· The text features included in the article are the title, quotations marks, and a date.
-The title helps by giving the readers a little hint on what the article is about.
-The quotation marks help by showing valid conversation among people and it shows quotes that were written or said.
-The date helps by giving the readers a time frame of when his speech occurred.
· Summary in my own words: This speech is about the way Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. dreamed and felt about freedom and equality within all men for the living future.
· The significance of this article is that this speech led to an advance in equality. Even though we are not at a full equal state yet, we have defiantly improved and this speech is what brought us so far in equal and freedom rights.
· What I learned from this article is that this speech was said on August 28, 1963.
· What I liked about this article is that the author included all his dreams, beliefs, and opinions about what he wanted to fulfill.
· What I did not like about the article is that the author included what the people said or did, like for example, “Yes” or “Applause” because it made it confusing to read.
· I would recommend this article to everyone and anyone who believes in what Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. believed so that they can really relate to it.
· A text-to-self connection I made with the article is that I defiantly stand for what Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. believed and would really what to fulfill it, just like he, and others did.
· A text-to-text connection I made was to a time magazine we read in class about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and his speech.
· A text-to-world connection I made after reading this article was that people all around the world are still being treated unfairly and unequally. Although, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s speech made a huge difference in equal rights.
New vocabulary I learned:
Word | Context Clues | Meaning |
1. Emancipation | Context clue #5 (Inference/ Description) Because the sentence is: “Five score years ago, a great American, in whose symbolic shadow we stand today, signed the Emancipation Proclamation.” By this sentence, I inferred that Emancipation means to free someone from slavery because of the topic and the proclamation of it. | free someone from slavery |
2. Proclamation | I used context clue #5 (Inference/ Description) because the sentence is: “Five score years ago, a great American, in whose symbolic shadow we stand today, signed the Emancipation Proclamation.” By this sentence, I inferred that a Proclamation is an announcement. | An announcement |
3. Invigorating | I used context clue #5 (Inference/ Description) because the sentence is: “This sweltering summer of the Negro's legitimate discontent will not pass until there is an invigorating autumn of freedom and equality.” When I read this sentence, I inferred invigorating meant bracing. | Bracing |
No comments:
Post a Comment